Saturday, February 18, 2017

My Top Tips for Writing Blog Posts

With running a blog one of your main jobs is to write blog posts. Contrary to what some people may think, blog posts do not just write themselves and most bloggers put a lot of time and effort into writing their posts. From coming up with post ideas, thinking of ways to make the post you're writing unique to other posts on your blog and on the internet, actually writing the post, and editing - here are a few of my top tips for writing blog posts.


7 tips to help you write your best blog post ever


Brainstorm post ideas often.

It's much easier to put out new posts regularly when you have a lot of different post ideas to choose from. I keep a running list of post ideas on my phone that I add to whenever an idea pops into my head and about once a month I try to sit down with my notebook and brainstorm as many post ideas as I can. Whenever I'm not sure what to write, I check my list for ideas and choose whichever post idea I'm most interested in writing. 


Keep a content calendar.

I like planning my posts out, although at the moment I pretty much plan a week in advance as I do most of my writing over the weekend. However whether your planning 2 months in advance or adding them to your calendar after you post, having a content calendar helps you to see if you're repeating the same topics too often and how often you're posting. It also helps if you want to write seasonal content as you can see when holidays are coming up!


Write posts that you would want to read.

If I was to choose the BEST advice I've ever been given for blogging it would be this: write about what you would want to read. If you're not interested in it, why are you writing about it? If you wouldn't read it, why do you expect others to? If you're interested in and excited about what you're writing it will show and chances are other people will be interested in it, too. If nothing else, you'll be creating content you can be proud of.


Outline your posts before writing.

This is something that's often overlooked when writing, but it's so important. It doesn't have to be an elaborate outline by any means. For this post I wrote my intro and then outlined the posts by putting in the headings. This keeps the post organized, and prevents me from just repeating myself over and over again.


Add a piece of yourself.

Whether it be your sense of humor, stories of your personal experiences, or even just those random words you like to use it's so important to include a piece of yourself in your writing. Doing this ensures that your post will be different from other bloggers'. I know sometimes it seems like we're all writing the same things, but the reason why I'll click on just about anyone's blogging tips, room tour, or bullet journal post is because I want to see what their take on it is, what they've learned, and what they've done differently. Include a bit of yourself in each post and it's guaranteed to be unique.


Don't copy other blogs.

Hopefully this seems like an obvious point, but do NOT copy other people's blogs! It's totally fine to get inspiration from other blogs or sources. Use that inspiration to create your own content and improve your current abilities. It is not cool to copy a whole post from another writer. It will only hurt you, especially when people catch on to what you're doing. If you want to use something from them - maybe a quote or give them credit for your post idea - be sure to let them know (or better yet, ask them if it's okay) via Twitter or email. 


Read through your post before publishing.

I don't stringently edit my posts - this is not my job and generally speaking I'm a decent writer and speller. For me, editing is mostly reading through my posts before publishing. I usually read (and re-read) each paragraph as I write - taking out this sentence, adding in this, deleting a word here or there. Once I'm done I always read through the whole post one time to make sure it flows well, everything goes together, and there's no glaring mistakes.


There you have it, my top tips for writing blog posts from brainstorming to publishing. I hope this helps you. There are times when I struggle with writing and other times where I feel like I could write 10 posts in a day, so don't feel alone if you're having a hard time with it. 

Let me know if these tips are helpful and if you have any other tips for writing in the comments!





2 comments:

  1. You should do a entire post on how to start a content calendar. I know each blogger has their own method so it would awesome if you could share yours!

    -Kim :)
    www.simplybeingkim.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea! I'll try to write about starting a content calendar soon!

      Delete