Saturday, January 21, 2017

Tips for Your First Week at a New Job

I got my first job post college! I'm in my first month of the job and I know that it can be a lot to just jump in and try to figure everything out at a new job. So I came up with 5 tips to help you out for your first week!

5 tips for your first week at a new job


Take a deep breath.

Walking in those first few days and at different moments you'll be a mix of excited and nervous. Take a deep breath and remember that you got this! Shoulders back, chin up, and remain confident. You'll do great!

Go with the flow.

Chances are there will be weird things that pop up that you didn't cover in orientation or other unexpected things. Just go with the flow. When things go wrong or you don't know how to do something take a deep breath, do some problem solving, or ask someone for help. I know there were a bunch of things that popped up my first week that I didn't know about, but going with the flow made it so much easier to handle.

Make it a point to meet your new coworkers.

While it might be difficult to remember everyone's names when you first get hired, make it a point to meet as many people as you can and get to know a few people who work close to you. These people will be great to ask for help and support you in your first few weeks. Plus, you probably want to make some new friends at your job!

Ask questions.

People know you're new and that you'll have questions. Whenever you have a question, ask for help or tips from one of your new coworkers or managers. People usually like being sought out for their advice and are willing to help you do well your first week. Even the most experienced person there was new once and had to ask a ton of questions when they first got hired.

Celebrate!

You got the job! And you've made it through week 1! That's definitely reason to celebrate. Whether it's a night out, dinner out, or a movie night with friends take some time to celebrate your new job!


What are your tips for starting a new job?  Let me know in the comments!




2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing these tips Courtney! Now that I'm done with school it's time for me to start looking for a job and since I've never had one before, the thought of it is quite overwhelming and a bit scary to me. Reading this was super helpful & ancouraging x

    Sara’sChapters

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you'll do fine at whatever job you get! The hardest part (I think) is applying, interviewing, and waiting to hear back. It sucks to get rejected but you just have to remember it's their loss. I'm glad this helped and hope you're able to find a job you like :)

      Delete